amsterdam city card
Buy the I am Amsterdam City Card
The Amsterdam City Card provides you with a very convenient way to use the public transport in Amsterdam, free entrance to museums and discounts on several attractions and selected restaurants. You can buy a physical or a digital card.
4 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD BUY THE AMSTERDAM CITY CARD:
- Using the tram is the best way to get around in Amsterdam (besides walking or biking) and with this card, you travel for free. Amsterdam does not have a very sophisticated subway-system like New York or Paris for instance.
- With this card you get for instance free entrance to the Rijksmuseum and a free canal cruise
- You can cancel the purchase of the City Card up to 24 hrs for a full refund
- Buying a single ticket in the tram and/or metro in Amsterdam might be a hassle and is expensive also. The Dutch are traveling with a public transport card which is used to check in and to check out in the transport, or they use an app connected with their bank account. Hence, buying and selling tickets in the tram or metro is not very common
PRICE OF THE AMSTERDAM CITY CARD
You have a choice out of 5 Amsterdam City cards:
- The 24 hours City Card for € 60
- The 48 hours City Card for € 85
- The 72 hours City Card for € 100
- The 96 hours City Card for € 115
- The 120 hours City Card for € 125
The validity period of the card starts the moment you use the card for the first time. So you can buy the card in advance and the card is valid for one year after purchase.
WITH THE AMSTERDAM CITY CARD YOU GET:
- Free admission to 44 museums and attractions
- Free transport in the public transport in Amsterdam for the duration of your card
- FREE Canal Cruise
- 25% discount in selected restaurants
- Discount on selected attractions
- Free 24 hours bike rental
House of Bols Experience
Among the museums with free entrance are:
- Amsterdam Museum
- Amsterdam Diamond Factories and the Diamond Museum
- EYE museum
- Hermitage Amsterdam
- Rembrandt House Museum
- The National Maritime Museum
- Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam
Among the attractions with free admission are:
- Artis, the zoo
- The Ultimate Flight Experience – THIS IS HOLLAND
AMONG THE ATTRACTIONS WITH 25% DISCOUNT ARE:
- The Amsterdam Dungeon
- Heineken Experience
- House of Bols Cocktail & Genever Experience
- Madame Tussauds
- Our House
- The Upside Down
HOW DOES THE AMSTERDAM CITY CARD WORK?
You have 2 options:
- Byuing a digital card and using the app
- Buying a physical card
The physical card
When you buy a physical card you get a voucher by mail and a reservation is made for your card automatically. Once you arrive in The Netherlands, you exchange your voucher (printed version or show the e-mail on your phone) at the I amsterdam Store in Amsterdam Central Station. Location: the ‘IJ-side’. Open: Monday – Friday from 10 AM until 7 PM. Saturday and Sunday from 9 AM until 6 PM.
The digital card
The big advantage of the digital card is you can downloand it directly to your phone. You also need to download the I amsterdam City Card to use it. You don’t need to go to the I amsterdam store. Activate this card when you are in Amsterdam.
Remember: take a power bank with you to avoid an empty phone. Without the phone you can not use the digital card.
Activation of the card (both options)
Once you enter the first museum or attraction, the museum part of the card will be activated. This also applies to the public transport. Once you check in in the public transport it activates the public transport part. Once activated, each element remains valid for 24, 48, 72, 96 or 120 hours, depending on your card.
So you don’t have to worry about the card will be activated once you exchange it for the voucher in the I amsterdam store. You can easily collect the card and activate it the next day if you like.
See the video of how to use the Amsterdam City Card
Important to know:
- You can not use the trains with the Amsterdam City Card
- You can not use this card getting to Amsterdam from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport and the return
- For some museums you need to make a reservation for a time slot
- For some exhibitions at museums or special boat tours a supplement may be required
- Using the public transport in Amsterdam: you need to check in with the card AND to check out
BUY THE AMSTERDAM CITY CARD
Share this page